Contributing to Minimizing the Environmental Load of Our Stakeholders and Society Through our Products and Businesses
The meaning of Sekisui Chemical Group's CSR is to contribute to a sustainable society through business. To contribute to minimizing the environmental load of society, it is essential that businesses create and promote widespread use of products that will make active contributions to the environment. In fiscal 2006 Sekisui Chemical Group established Environment-Contributing Product Standards calling for an even higher level of contribution to the environment than before, and since then it has managed such products through a certification system.
- Environment-Contributing Products conceptual diagram
Criteria for Environment-Contributing Products
- Products and businesses that demonstrably help our customers and society to reduce their environmental load
- Products or systems having lower environmental impact compared to similar conventional products and systems
- Scope of Application
- During customer use, reduction of environmental load during disposal and recycling, and alleviation of possible resource depletion (excluding production and transportation within Sekisui Chemical Group)
- Reduction of impacts on the natural environment (e.g. reduction in greenhouse gases) and social environment (e.g. reduction of waste, conservation of resource, and water saving/recycling)
Expansion of Environment-Contributing Products
One of the targets of Sekisui Chemical Group's Midterm Environmental Plan is that of growing the ratio of sales of Environment-Contributing Products to total consolidated net sales to 40% or higher in fiscal 2013.
In fiscal 2012, strong sales of houses with solar energy generation systems and an increase in the lineup of Environment-Contributing Products led to growth in net sales of these products to 392.5 billion yen, achieving the target for the fiscal year of a ratio of 38% of total net sales. When converting their results to carbon-dioxide emissions reductions, these Environment-Contributing Products have resulted in offsetting reductions in carbon-dioxide emissions much greater than the amount of carbondioxide emissions generated in Sekisui Chemical Group production activities in Japan (according to Sekisui Chemical estimates)
- Net Sales of Environment-Contributing Products
and their ratio to total net sales
- Environment-Contributing Products pamphlet
Sekisui Chemical Group Environment-Contributing Products( PDF Type, 1.46Mbyte )
System for Environmental Consideration in Products
Sekisui Chemical Group is advancing the Three Greening Steps intended to incorporate consideration for the environment in three stages of its value chain: development, procurement, and manufacturing. For this purpose, we are implementing systems including Product Assessments for Environmental Impact, Green Procurement, and Prior Assessment of Capital Expenditure.
External Advisory Board
To increase the reliability and transparency of the Environment-Contributing Product certification system, in fiscal 2010 Sekisui Chemical Group established the External Advisory Board, a third party organization from which it receives advice and recommendations on the certification system as a whole.
During fiscal 2012, the External Advisory Board met in September 2012 and March 2013, providing opinions on individual Environment-Contributing Products. Advisors also provided a variety of opinions and recommendations concerning this system as well as Sekisui Chemical Group's environmental management, on topics including environmental capital* and efforts targeting the supply chain. Attendees from Sekisui Chemical included responsible Directors down to the environmental personnel of each division company and Corporate Headquarters. We are utilizing the opinions received in our environmental management.
- * Environmental capital:
- A term that refers to the blessings of nature such as soil, air, water, and flora and natural resources such as metals, petroleum, and natural gas.
- Flow of Certification of Environment-Contributing Products